Recently we tackled the most puzzling design dilemmas for homeowners with corner fireplaces.
Where do I put my television?
How do I find the best furniture arrangement?
Living Room Makeover: Before
In its original state, the television was mounted over the fireplace and the sectional was facing the kitchen. This arrangement hardly did this room any justice nor did it work for the person sitting in the room attempting to watch the television. The main level of this home is an open concept plan and the living room needed to be identified as a separate room. Before it just looked like a “sectional in the kitchen” and did not function independently as living room.
The Revised Floor Plan:
In order for the room to function properly, I made the following adjustments:
- Reconfigured the existing sectional and placed it on the opposite side of the room
- Used a sisal rug to help delineate the space and identify this as a living room and not an extension of the kitchen
- Purchased media console for needed storage.
- Removed the television from the fireplace and placed it on media console.
- Hung custom linen drapery to soften hard lines on the window
- Accented room with wall decor, new throw pillows, and accessories.
- Used client’s existing coffee table, but added new side tables for additional surface space for guests.
- Added floor lamps for additional lighting.
Living Room Makeover: After
My client was beyond happy with the end result. Friends even questioned if this was the same furniture! It’s remarkable the difference proper space planning makes! Try a few different furniture arrangements and see what you can do to transform your space. It won’t cost you a dime, just a little time, muscle, and some elbow grease. Go for it!
**Need help with fresh ideas and solutions for your home?
Email me at info(at)erikaward.com or simply call (404) 507-6110 to schedule an in home consultation. Take courage friends, and be empowered once again to decorate a home you will love.