FIRST WEEK OF KINDERGARTEN

August 17, 2012

family, Me

The twins started kindergarten this week.

It’s hard to believe how fast they’ve grown in such a short amount of time.

They were home with me everyday last week, a short break between camp and the first day of school. Some days I thought they would never stop calling my name. Mommy this, Mommy that…it reminded me how much they need me.

But when they excitedly boarded the school bus on the second day, I felt like they didn’t anymore. Well, a least not as much.

They waved at me from the bus window and I was caught off guard by my sudden change of emotions.

I damn near choked myself trying to smile while holding back the tears. I didn’t want them to think I was sad without a chance to explain. It’s bittersweet, really. But how do you explain that to a five-year-old?

As the bus rounded the bend, that’s when the flood gates opened. I stood there in my front yard bawling like a baby.

I text my Dad, who always has something clever to say. I needed someone to make me laugh.

ME: “I put the kids on the bus this morning and cried as I watched it drive away. I must be getting soft.”

DAD: “Yeah, that’s pretty soft.”

ME: “I blame it on the pregnancy hormones.”

DAD: “Soft is cool! Your Mom said the hormone thing, too when I told her. EVERYTHING moves on, even your little people. I’m proud.”

No laughs there. Only a dose of reality that, at the moment, was hard to swallow.

While trying hard to digest what my father just said, I spend a half hour holding our 3, soon to be 4-year-old who was still asleep in my bed. I pondered the words over and over, “EVERYTHING moves on.”

As soon as I felt at peace with that revelation, my baby woke up. We had fun breakfast together, I got him dressed, dropped him off at preschool, and started my day a changed Mom…

…a proud mom of school aged children. WOW.

13 Responses to “FIRST WEEK OF KINDERGARTEN”

1. dayka Says:

Aw, loved this post! Everything moves on, kids growing up means great things in store for you as a working woman, too. :)

2. Angela Says:

Erica, that was a very lovely post. Everything moves on….That’s something to ponder on.

3. Maribel Says:

Aww, Erika, what a sweet post, I love it! They are cute, and I imagined very excited to experience school. Wish you guys a wonderful school year.

4. LBDH Says:

They are adorable!!! Just wait until they graduate from High School. Which will be next month!!! That’s how fast time flys!! Hugs to you mom! The fun is just beginning!!

Hang in there!
    LBDH

5. Mimi Says:

Dang. That was a reality check. EVERYTHING does move on. At least she was smiling getting on the bus. She could’ve been attached to your leg and made those tears hard to hold back.

I can’t believe their 5. WOW!!

6. Amanda Eck Says:

holy crap! why did I have to read this now? Now Im bawling like a baby. Mine start back a week from tomorrow and my 5 yr will start Kinder- all I have now is my 3 going on 4yr old. ugh!!!
    Everything does move on- a time and place for everything. *sigh*

7. caprice Says:

I wish I was your neighbor to give you a big hug! Reading that made me choke up a bit! The fact that you did cry just means you are a terrific Mom and your children are so blessed! I do like your Father’s words of wisdom too! Everything does move on and in some ways there is major peace in that!

8. Monica J Says:

Awwww, they are so adorable. They looked so happy for their first week of school. They are growing up right before your eyes. The change happens so quickly it seems. I’ve watched my nieces and nephew just shoot up right before my eyes. I think moments like these are always going to be bittersweet. You should definitely be a proud mama. And now the homework begins!

Happy to have found your blog through Mimi!

9. erika Says:

HA HA LAUGHING AT THE MOMMY THIS AND THAT.. WAIT TILL THEY GET HOME SINCE ITS AT THE SAME TIME ITS MORE MOMMY THIS AND THAT AND WHO GETS TO SHARE WHAT FIRST.. UGH I KNOW I HAVE 5 AND WHEN 330 COMES AROUND..OH LORD LOOK OUT.. LOL YOU HAVE BEAUTIFUL KIDS.

10. marian Says:

Haha I think now about my children which are not so small. Thanks for this post

11. Tonia Says:

I think seeing your babies of to their first day of school is hard. You can’t believe they have grown from when you first brought them home from the hospital. It’s gets easier…well at least for me it did. Now all I have to worry about is the kind of woman they will marry and grandchildren.

12. Quida Says:

Wow! I do remember this for my children as well. It does get easier though with time. No matter how old our children get, they will always be our babies. :)