GIRL’S ROOM: IF YOU LOVE PAISLEY + PINK

“I want to make it beautiful for her. With all the transition she is experiencing right now she deserves it,” my client explained. I could hear the concern in her voice. “We’re moving her to the guest room, the new baby will take her old room, she’s starting kindergarten in the Fall and I just don’t want her to feel left out.” As I surveyed the adjacent rooms I could see this concern for her daughter had also kicked her nesting instincts into overdrive. Her growing belly also indicated that time was of the essence. She needed my help STAT. It was time to purge the guest room and create a space for Little Big Sister with room to grow.

The inspiration for this room came from a duvet she’d originally purchased from Pottery Barn kids. It was nice, but the colors were very muted. For the direction we were headed this room needed more punch. Pale pink became intensified pink! We kept the walls neutral with Duron’s Mushroom Basket and focused on lots of color, pattern, and pom-pom fringe!

Remember the story about the canopy? The moral of the story had more to do with client satisfaction than anything else. Little Big Sister’s choice of canopy overruled my recommendation. Lesson: Some five-year olds do in fact have good taste. I’m in love.

When sunlight floods your child’s room at 5:30AM you, like Nesting Mama, should also request blackout drapery. Windows dressed in double layers delay the sunrise and help your wee ones to get a good night’s rest which in turn decrease morning crankiness.

Blackout drapery = Mom’s best friend.
B/O drapery + coordinating tie backs + pom pom fringe = Designer’s best friend.

Even when your budget is slim, buy the best window treatments your money can afford. Window coverings, without a doubt, help to make a space feel complete!

My favorite clients are one that trust me. Little direction was given here, but there were many clues to guide my decisions along the way. Little Big Sister and her family take lots of photos. With these customized fabric corkboards, she can display her favorite pics/artwork and change it up at her discretion.

Lastly, what’s a girl’s room without a touch of BLING? It’s like offering a cupcake to someone without the icing. Just plain wrong. Well, I’m only half kidding but adding a reflective element in a space is always a winning idea. The best part about it is that you’ll hear a gasp from the unsuspecting client, one always seems to escape their lips.

So fortunate to have another satisfied client in Little Big Sister, but there is one thing that worries me. After a few more thank yous and a big warm hug, she abruptly stopped and warned me not to make the baby’s room prettier than hers [oh the pressure!] Unsure of the blacklash that may ensue if I fail to take her warning seriously, I promised her that his room wouldn’t be pretty at all. Handsome, not pretty, is what I’m trying to achieve. I hope she’s convinced.

Are you in transition right now? Is your home crying out for some TLC? Contact me. I can help.

22 Responses to “GIRL’S ROOM: IF YOU LOVE PAISLEY + PINK”

1. Shanika Pichey Says:

Wow! What a special place that Little Big Sister can call hers.

2. The Fine Life Says:

This is a beautiful room to grow with, Erika. You have given this little girl a space that can evolve as she does. She's a lucky little girl!

3. Mr. Goodwill Hunting Says:

Such a great space for a little girls. Very welcoming.

Rashon

4. decorativity Says:

Love the fabric corkboards!! They pop so well on the wall!
    ~Carla

5. Michelle Says:

What more can a little girl want? This is a beautiful and stylish room. Great job Erika!

6. Chantaeux Says:

I've been following your blog for awhile now and this is the most beautiful room I've seen from your work. I LOVE the soft grey on the wall. It's such a light colour but it really brings warmth to the whites used. The pinks and greens are bright but really balanced. It's girly but still really sophisticated. Oh, and the little details of this room are just beautiful!

7. La Monica Says:

What a wonderful big girl space for little big sister! You've created a pink room that's sweet, but not sugary. And as the mommy of a 4 year old "big girl", that stands out to me. Love the chandy!

8. Niki McNeill Says:

I know she will be so thrilled to live here! Beautiful job Erika :-)

9. Natasha Simpson * Says:

What a beautiful space and what a transformation. You did an amazing job and I love all the little details, especially the pom pom's on the drapes!

10. Erika Ward Says:

You all have really made my day! Thank you for all your compliments and encouragement. Especially, from those who follow my work and witness my growth.

11. Carolyn Says:

Erika,

Your work is awesome…I have to say you simply blew me away with the design of this room! I can't decorate for the life of me, but I'm truly inspired to tackle my daughter's room now. Thank you so very much for sharing.

12. jvw home Says:

beautiful job Erika….
    I agree on the window treatments making the room….we just moved to a new home and i'm not ready to share most of my house on my blog, until the rooms get window treatments. Right now the lovely paper shades are hanging.
    Plus most of my rooms are white and therefore the fabric (on the window trtmts) will be the statement….so without it's just plain jane!

I've always loved blackout lining for draperies or shades in kids' rooms…..makes SUCH a difference!

Great to see your stellar design again….
    have a beautiful day…

13. Janell @ Isabella and Max Says:

Simply divine, love the fresh light feeling and sweetness. A room to love for a long time! Janell

14. Sing Says:

So darling and not too kiddy for a girls room.

15. Amanda Says:

Its awesome!! Love all the pillows and the trim on the curtains- great details! I bet she is one happy little girl!

16. Tiffany @ Savor Home Says:

Makes me want to be a little girl all over again! That is gorgeous! I adore the colors and the details. Great job!

17. I'm Busy Procrastinating Says:

Ooh la la! I love when kids rooms are designed in a sophisticated way instead of with cartoon characters or wallpaper they should grow out of by age 5! And you're right — who doesn't love pink and green? I have the same lamp in turquoise, which is my favorite color, but I'm smitten with it in green as well. Beautiful room, Erika, and I'm sure your young client will love it for years to come!

18. Suzette Says:

This room is gorgeous!!!
    Can't wait to see the rest of your blog :)

19. Jae Says:

this is beautiful. love the shades of pink.

20. Brandi Says:

Erika, my goodness…What a precious room! It's beautiful! So soft and sweet. You did a great job! You are very talented.

21. Erika Says:

Hi Erika! My name is Erika, too :)
    I’m trying to find out more about this wall color you used, but I can’t seem to find it :( Any info you can give me?
    Thanks!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. GLENWOOD PARK FAMILY ROOM REVEAL | BluLabel Bungalow | Interior Design Advice and Inspiration - March 31, 2012

[...] you? It all started with a referral from one of my favorite clients. After I designed her a paisley and pink room for her daughter, then a handsome nursery for her son, she blessed me with this new client who [...]