Tastemaker Tuesday: British Designer Kelly Hoppen

For those who love a fierce business woman, today’s
tastemaker spotlight is on British designer Kelly Hoppen

I’ve spend the last two weeks reading Kelly Hoppen’s website. Aside from viewing her alluring interior spaces, I became enthralled with a four part video series entitled Kelly Bears All where she documents the renovation of her most recent home.
Her previous residence was an Victorian schoolhouse turned into a 6,000 square foot home which then Kelly transformed into a 1-bedroom loft space.

This loft space is far from industrial and cold with its plush furnishings and warm color palette.

Below, the oversize task lamp is totally unexpected in this dining room, but definitely works with this being a loft space.

Notice the repeated use of greenery in the space gives each room life and improves air quality.

“[I] kept it [the loft] for two years, sold it and decided that every two years anywhere I have to recreate my style…,” Kelly explains in her documentary. So she opted for a “proper” traditional Georgian house and planned to make it completely opposite of what it should be.  The renovation lasted roughly 5 months (2 months longer than her usual undertakings) and resulted in the modernized spaces you see below.

The shutters seen throughout the house are designed by Kelly in conjunction with Shutterfly Fabulous.

…and for the outdoors

[all images courtesy of Kelly Hoppen Retail, commentary by Erika Ward]
Can you imaging undergoing this process every two years? Based on Kelly’s affection for the new house, I have a sneaking suspicion that she may be rooted here at bit longer.  Which home was your favorite?

12 Responses to “Tastemaker Tuesday: British Designer Kelly Hoppen”

1. Anonymous Says:

Wow! You sure know how to take it to the next level. Erika you need your own show on HGTV! Your work is absolutely wonderful and flawless! Love it..Love it…Love it!

W

2. keely @ luxe + lillies Says:

She is so ridiculously talented! I love both spaces so much I just could never choose which one I like better, they are both fabulous for their own reasons. Thanks!

3. Chic Modern Vintage Says:

I like the new place, and I'm with Anonymous, you need your own show and hire me as Assistant :-)

4. Dayka (Life +Style) Says:

kelly hoppen is great. i like them both, but it depends on whether i'm feeling "lofty" or not. ;)

i was thinking of using a dolphin fin grey for the table, but the location will probably dictate the color.

5. Adrianna Says:

I love the new digs! Every room looks just fantabulous!! EVERY ROOM! I don't usually do dark dark but the living room is it!

6. Divamom-Act II Says:

I'm just going to shut my mouth now. It fell open with the loft and I couldn't close it until I was done. I so want a bedroom that gorgeous. Great post!

7. Mi Vida Bonita Says:

All I have to say is don't make me pick! They are both so very unique and elegant! Beautiful!

8. Laura Trevey Says:

All so beautiful! I love hydrangeas and they make wonderful centerpiece arrangements!

9. DesignTies Says:

Beautiful!! Kelly Hoppen is another one of my favourite designers.

Both of Kelly's homes are fabulous, but I think the Georgian is my favourite. The bedrooms are gorgeous, and the glass countertop in the kitchen is fantastic. I love how she designed it opposite of what it should be :-)

I can't believe how quickly she manages to transform a house — it's taken us almost a year just to do a kitchen makeover!!

Kelly

so pretty, I really need a bedroom like the one above, talk about pretty

11. ashlina Says:

yes mam! i love this woman….she actually did my boss's home and its FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! i am dying to meet her.

great post!

12. Mr. Goodwill Hunting Says:

Her rooms are amazing. You have great great taste and style.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting